March 31, 2013

My Letter to Dezmond


March 31, 2013

My dear sweet Dezmond,

This is the first letter of many (I hope!) from your Grandma Trice.  How I love you! 



I loved being present at your birthday on June 27th, 2012.  I felt so honored to be there with your parents as they welcomed you, their first-born child and son, into their family.

My very own first-born son died almost two months to the day prior to your birth,  and my heart was broken.  I don’t want to make you sad, so I won’t go into all of my feelings, but it was a very difficult time.  I was so grateful to have your mother close by for me to help and to encourage as your birth drew near.  You even went horseback riding with us (inside your mom, of course!) up until the day before you were born! 






And then, almost suddenly, you were here, and such an important part of our lives!  From the very beginning I have loved to hold you and feel of the peace you brought with you.  Your Uncle Denzel would be SO excited to know you, to love you, to play with you, and to protect you.














With your parents living only ten minutes away, Grandpa and I get to spend a lot of time with you and your parents.  We love that.

Friday “hamburger night” is a favorite.  

Sunday dinner is another special time that we all enjoy.  And I love that you feel comfortable with me!  I certainly feel comfortable with you!

Some days, when I’m having a “Denzel Moment” and things just seem a little harder, I ask your mom to come over so I can have a “Dezmond Fix.” 

I hold you in my arms,

we play with Hank,

we go for a walk,


or sometimes we just take a nap. . . and it helps to heal my heart. 


You are a sweet boy, Dezmond.  I am SO glad you are my grandson!   I love you tons, and I love you forever!

                                        Love,
       Grandma Trice




No comments: