May 12, 2010

President Monson's Counsel

I loved all of the talks from General Conference! I hope we will find time to read one talk each day.

Sunday, LaRae Radmall gave the lesson in Relief Society. She gave a beautiful lesson about prophets. A few things have stuck with me that I want to share.

1. As we looked at the 15 or so pictures of prophets on the chalk board she said, "Isn't it wonderful that we recognize these ancient and modern day men?! We know they are prophets of God. Not everyone in the world know who they were if they saw these pictures. Isn't it great that we do! (I thought it an excellent point, and one I hope we don't take for granted.)

2. She asked for input re: counsel we could remember having come from a particular prophet. There were lots of comments made and memories jogged as we remembered over the years, and prophets, the counsel we have received.

3. Then the question was asked, "What can we do to help the prophet?" Of course, suggestions were made to pray for him, to serve in our callings better, and other things. But the still small voice whispered in my heart so loudly that I couldn't ignore it, "Don't just listen to the prophet, DO WHAT HE SAYS!" As I sat there and thought about it, I started to feel badly for each of the prophets over the years and ages. How must it feel to prophecy the Lord's commandments and counsel and be rejected, or ignored?

I'm sure each of us has shared "advice" with someone else and had it ignored even though we have KNOWN how important it was. That's nothing compared to prophecy!

So I hope we will each LISTEN and HEED the counsel we receive from the prophet! READ his counsel, FOLLOW his counsel, REMEMBER his counsel! Here is just a small excerpt from President Monson's closing remarks at General Conference:

"My counsel for all of us is to look to the lighthouse of the Lord. There is no fog so dense, no night so dark, no gale so strong, no mariner so lost but what its beacon light can rescue. It beckons through the storms of life. The lighthouse of the Lord sends forth signals readily recognized and never failing."

Love,
Mom

No comments: