September 26, 2013

SSG R. DENZEL HUNT CLASSROOM OF EXCELLENCE

Because I do Elder Hunt's blog each week, I sometimes simply run out of time to do everything I would like to.  Imagine that!  However, there are some things that should NOT be left unrecorded, so, here goes!!


Up until Denzel's death, he worked as an instructor at Camp Williams alongside his very close friend, Ssg. Shaun Tucker.  Since Denzel's death, there was a push at the base to name each classroom after a noteworthy military individual.

Due to the impact Denzel had had on the base and a lot of the training he was involved in, the program changes he improved and implemented, and due to the work that Ssg Shaun Tucker put into it to make this a reality, the classroom that Ssg Tucker currently teaches in was designated and named the R. Denzel Hunt Classroom of Excellence.

What a special tribute and honor!!  It was very thoughtful and meaningful to Rod and I just to know that they would think to do something like this.  We also appreciated the efforts Dan and Janet Barton put in to making the large poster-sized photograph and write-up used in the classroom!




On Friday, September 13th, Rod and I drove up to Camp Williams in Draper.  We had been invited by Ssg Shaun Tucker.  He's an instructor there and  as part of the course he teaches, he requires each student to do a 5 minute presentation on a deceased military personnel, worthy of emulation.

During this particular cycle, Shaun has had a particularly "on-the-ball" student that he has been very impressed with, and he allowed him (Sgg. Durrant) to do his presentation on Denzel. Rod and I were honored to be invited to the classroom presentation.  Even though it meant Rod took a day off of work to be at the base in Draper by 2:00 p.m., there was no way we would have missed this!

Ssg Tucker met us outside the building on the base, and we walked upstairs together and into the classroom.



The students were just returning from a break, and we were warmly greeted by people we had met at Denzel's funeral as well as the students in the class.

 Before things got started, a picture of Denzel was put up on the screen, and when I looked up and saw my son there, it instantly brought tears to my eyes.  I was quickly reaching for my purse and my stash of tissues as I mentioned to no one and yet everyone with a joking tone, "Oh this is NOT a good sign!!"  It was very emotional for both Rod and I, but in a good way.  What a special honor it was for us to be there and to share our son and his military career with these students and many other military personnel who crowded into the classroom.

  When Ssg. Durrant  finished the presentation, which was VERY well done, Ssg. Tucker asked if Rod and I had anything we'd like to add.  (I wasn't sure if we would be asked to contribute, but I had grabbed a couple of pictures, "just in case."  I'm glad I did.)

 I passed around our "last family picture" with Denzel in it.  I wanted each person there to know very clearly that Denzel was an important part of our family.  He was (and is) loved more than can be expressed.

I next held up, then passed around,  our "marathon picture," showing Denzel, Brandon, Kristy, Amelia and me running the 2007 St. George Marathon.  (Denzel had only run one 5-mile training run as his prep for the marathon.)  Amazingly, we all finished together, hands interlaced with each other's as  we all crossed the
finish line together.  I related how there were times that the girls wanted to go ahead, because they had trained, but  we managed to stay together and helped pace each other.  Just like our very close family, the military family sticks together, pushes each other onward and helps achieve excellence together.

I then related a few incidents from Denzel's first deployment to Iraq, the accuracy of their fire missions, and how the Marines would specifically request their fire missions to be given to the 222nd because of their extreme accuracy. At first I couldn't quite grasp how "firing the gun" could be that difficult.  So Denz putting it in terms that I could relate to.  He said, "Mom, imagine that our gun [looked like a TANK to me, but it's called a GUN] was parked at our house.  Now you aim it north towards Pine Valley.  Your mission is to hit the Veyo pool, which is approximately 30 miles away.  You fire, and come within 10 yards of the pool, obliterating it!!  That's basically what we do."  And that's how I started to understand just how well-trained Denzel was in his military responsibilities.  Like he said to me, "You KNOW you're good when the MARINES request you!!"

After a few of these personal stories, I related a bit about how Denzel died.  Due to substance abuse, and the wrong set of circumstances combining into "the perfect storm," he ended his life.  I briefly suggested to these young men and women that any substance that changes the way you think, and takes control of your mind and body, is NOT the way to go.  "And IF you have a problem in this area, GET HELP NOW!!!  Do NOT put it off.  You never know when it may be too late!"

Then Rod spoke briefly, thanking everyone for their love and support and our appreciation for the great respect we have felt from everyone.
Talking with Ssg. Durrant afterward
Denzel's former office...it was a bit emotional for us to see where Denzel was sitting so many times when we would call and talk to him when he was at "work."  Could almost feel him right there with us!!



It was a memorable, emotional, good, and a little difficult experience.  Thank you SO MUCH Shaun Tucker!!!  Thank you for loving and respecting our son in such a way as to honor him with a Classroom of Excellence in his name.  No matter what changes may be made in the future, WE will never forget it!


No comments: