October 11, 2011

Red Flags of Pride. . .

Due to outside demand (a few friends I told about the email I sent you...), I'm putting this on the blog after all. . . sorry for the repeat, kids!  ^_^

I drove for a total of FIVE HOURS on Saturday, hauling 4 horses nearly to MODENA (that's past Enterprise, Beryl Junction, etc.) then over dirt roads, with massive mud puddles trying to suck me into their mire. . . to have four mares bred (3 of them about kicked the snot out of the stud...so that seems like a waste!), but while I was doing all of this driving I was listening to several of Uncle Kim's talks at BYU Idaho.  (They send us copies periodically...)  

Each of the talks were powerful!  The one he gave called "Are Ye Stripped of Pride" especially hit home with me.  I typed up some of the stuff he said, and thought I'd pass it along.  I wish you could each hear the talk, it was THAT good!  (http://web.byui.edu/DevotionalsandSpeeches/speeches.aspx)  (If you do a "speaker" search for Kim B. Clark, in 2010 you'll find this talk and several others.  The titles are VERY indicative of the talks:  Peace Like a River; Deep Obedience, Love by Faith,  Drenched in Gratitude: Protection Against the Spirit of Entitlement, and many others!!  That's just 2010. . . )

Red Flags of Pride:
1.       Do you find yourself critiquing the talks in Sacrament meeting?
2.       Are you critical of others?
3.       Do you look down on others?  Do you scorn or ridicule others?
4.       When adversity strikes, do you hear a voice inside that says, “Why me?”
5.       Do you react to prophetic counsel by ignoring it, being upset by it, or interpreting it to fit your own desires?
6.       When you do something good, do you hear a voice inside congratulating yourself?
7.       Do you feel self-gratification and a sense of importance in your knowledge and skill?
8.       If someone you know receives something good, do you hear a voice inside saying, “What about me?”
9.       Do you find a way to let others know about your success without appearing to boast?
10.     If someone corrects a mistake you’ve made, do you feel defensive and resentful?
11.     When someone does something that creates inconvenience for you, do you feel annoyed?

Uncle Kim said that he knows this list because he has dealt with each of these things, and that we should each work vigilantly to overcome these and other red flags of pride. 

He emphasized the need for each of us to deal with pride whether it is due to prosperity OR adversity.  I don't always associate pride with adversity, but it's there!

Anyway, I hope it gives you as much food for thought as it has me!

Love,
Mom

No comments: