June 16, 2011

IT's A BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL!!! And her name is KODIAK!!

From Silvers Foal
Our little filly arrived June 16, 2011, around 5:00 a.m.

More pics and details coming soon!


From Our Baby

DETAILS:

Nat and I went to the corrals around 6:00 p.m. Wednesday. Silver was dripping from her teats, so we knew she was very close to foaling. We got some straw put down in the bottom of the corral a bit later. Silver seemed very agitated and not herself. Another good sign! We checked on her around 11 p.m., and she was standing at the bottom of the corral...

I went down at 3:00 a.m. Silver was standing in the same spot, though she did come up to me by the gate. I stayed until the thought of black widows crawling up my leg got the best of me. (In the dark it's hard to tell what I'm feeling, and those lovely spiders are night dwellers! UGH!)

Rod woke me up at 5:00 a.m., but I was so tired, I asked for an extra 30 minutes of sleep. He woke me again at 5:20, and I went to the corrals at 5:30.

As I drove in I saw Silver standing in the same spot she had been in the other times I had checked on her. Then I saw something dark move in the light shadows of the early morning. IT WAS A BABY!! I had a small pang of disappointment at having missed the birth, but that was swallowed up with the amazement at the black beauty standing by her mother! As she turned her head toward me, I thought something was stuck above her eyes...it was an incredibly distinct WHITE HEART on her forehead. UNBELIEVEABLE!!

As you'll see in some of the very first pictures, I'm sure the foaling occurred barely 30 minutes before I arrived. The afterbirth is visible in the dirt by Silver's feet in some of the pics. Nat and I got a bucket and sponge, and washed off as much of the blood as possible that was all over Silver's back legs. (The filly was perfectly clean when we got there!) Silver did SUCH a good job with her baby!!

Both mom and baby are VERY calm and good with all the visitors they have had! I'm excited to hear what Nat decides to name this wonderful addition to our family!! We'll keep you posted!



A little video:



And a few more pictures, too!


You may be wondering what I'm holding in the last couple of pictures. . . well, Rod gave me a black stuffed baby horse for Mother's Day since I had bought myself a brown and cream stuffed baby horse at Christmas time. (I was just a little anxious for Silver's baby to get here!)
From SILVERS FOAL-2
When I opened the Mother's Day present, Dad kind of apologized saying it was the only baby horse he could find. I loved it, but was sure there was no way Silver's horse would come out looking like that!! Boy, I was WAAAAYY off!!

3 comments:

Amelia Kirchhausen said...

Hooray! Can't wait to see what Nat names her! I am sure Zorro is going to be happy to not be the only Black member of the family now! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so happy! I love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. That is so exciting. SHe is beautiful. Good job Silver.
-Denzel