June 26, 2013

INVESTMENTS. . .

Last weekend, Rod and I made a whirlwind trip to Mapleton, SLC, South Weber, Clinton, and back by Saturday night.  We spent Thursday night in Mapleton, picked up some work from Dan and Janet while we were enjoying their hospitality.  Friday morning we headed to South Jordan for Linda Hunt's wedding brunch, then we went to Lehi for a short visit with Shaun Tucker (giving him some of the poster pictures of Denzel that will be hung at Camp Williams), then went to the Draper Temple for Linda's sealing to Christian James McCarty.  Afterwards we went to the Utah Arts Festival in SLC for a couple of hours, then met Kristy and Chris for dinner at a new flatbread pizza place in Sugarhouse.  We said our good-byes, then drove to West Jordan for the wedding reception, where we got to visit with a lot of relatives we don't get to see much.  THEN we drove up to Brandon's and Tannya's for the night.  LOVE being greeted with "GRANDMA!!" and a big squeeze from Nikki!!

Saturday morning, after getting cleaned up, and spending some time with Nikki, I headed to my parents in Clinton, while Rod, Brandon and Nikki went to a parade.  (Tannya and Kate went to a friend's baptism.)  I spent the next couple of hours getting my mom showered, dressed, combed and make-up applied.  My dad used the spare time to run some errands and fix a sprinkler.  Then everyone came over to their house for a few minutes before Rod and I drove Grandfather and Grandmother to the McKay Dee Hospital.

But this wasn't a regular hospital visit, as they soon came to find out.  We walked in the main doors, and Rod moved a couple of large chairs over by the 9' Yamaha grand piano that is prominent in the large lobby.  The lobby is open all the way up the four stories, and sound from the piano can be heard one each floor.

After the chairs were in place, close to the keyboard, Rod and I helped seat my parents in the comfortable chairs, then I pulled out some of the music I had brought, and began to play for them.  After each piece I turned to see if they liked it, or remembered when I had played a particular piece as a teenager.  I knew my mom would enjoy my playing, but I was extremely touched by the tears I often saw in my father's eyes.

After nearly an hour of playing, I finished and said, "I hope it was a good investment of your money..." referring to the thousands of dollars my parents paid for pianos, lessons, music books, gas money and their time.  My father quietly said, "Oh yes, it was worth it."

No comments: