June 27, 2012

"Baby J" (aka Dezmond Kai) Arrives!!!


This morning started out rough..."mother stuff" going on in my head, so I went out to the garden at 6:30 a.m. and started pulling weeds.  VERY therapeutic!

I went visiting teaching, and a bit later in the morning MY visiting teacher came over.  It was nice.

Then Amelia came over to the house after she and Hans went to her doctor’s appointment.  She had dilated to “a good 3…” and was 90% effaced.  She had been having contractions the past few days, but nothing notable.

(We had enjoyed a day at Pine Valley just yesterday, riding horses and being in the cooler weather!)

Soooo, we watched a short movie, and ate some lunch while Millie's contractions got closer together.  She said they were about 7 minutes apart, so we decided to go to the mall to walk around while we looked for some luggage for Dallin's mission.  However, as she and I drove down Sunset Blvd., I could tell her contractions were coming closer together, she just wasn't saying anything about it.  By the time we got to Bluff Street, I asked how close they were.  "Oh, about 3 minutes apart," was her reply.  I suggested we go to their home and get her bag "just in case," but by the time we got there, the contractions were 2 minutes apart!!

Amelia said she was feeling a little crampy and like she needed to go to the bathroom.  This was a textbook scenario.  I knew the bathroom stuff could take some time, so I suggested she go to the bathroom, and get her things together, while I drove back home to get my camera.  While returning to her apartment, I called and talked with her.  Millie said, “I feel like throwing up. . .”  I responded, “Do!  You will feel much better.  This is just your body cleaning itself out in preparation for the birth!”  She threw up while I was on the phone, then came back to our conversation.  I was their apartment 5 minutes later, and Hans arrived right after that!!

At 3:20 Hans and Amelia arrived at the hospital.  I waited in the parking lot while they were checked and admitted at 3:35.  Hans met me at the door and showed me where their room was.  Amelia was sitting on the adjustable bed, with a big smile on her face.  She was at 5 cm.!!  HOORAY!!  I was so glad I had been invited as backup coach/photographer!!


Millie wanted to try getting in the large portable bathtub they had in the room, but after about 5 minutes, the nurse was concerned that the baby’s heartbeat had changed, and wanted her to get out and back on the bed.  I suggested to Amelia that she asked to be checked (the hospital policy was that they would only check when the patient wanted them to. . . ), so she did. Amelia was at 8 cm.!!

Hans did a great job of encouraging Amelia, who wanted to deliver the baby without any anesthesia if at all possible.  The contractions were getting stronger and closer, and I could see the “panic” look in Amelia’s eyes.  I started to rub Millie’s feet and count the seconds by fives of the contractions aloud.  I remembered HOW MUCH that helped me . . . to hear the counting and knowing the contraction wouldn’t last that long.  I think it helped Amelia, too!

When the nurse saw how quickly Amelia was progressing, she got the birthing crew mobilized and things started to hop from there. 

Dr. Lunt came quickly, checked Amelia, and he was very surprised at how fast things had progressed!  He told her she could start pushing and she did.  She had about 3 contractions, with 3 pushes each time, and she made good progress with each.  At one point she got scared and said, “Mom!  Mom!”  I quickly came by her head, cheek to cheek, talking in her ear, and told her how good she was doing, to release the fear, and just push away the pain.  It only took two more pushes and the baby’s head was born.  A little waiting for the doctor to take care of a few things, and then baby Dezmond was born.  And then Amelia felt MUCH better!!



Shortly after the baby was born, Amelia said, “Do you want to know what his name is?”  I said, “Of course!”  She said, “It’s Dezmond Kai.”  And we both started to tear up.  Millie explained, “We liked the name Desmond, but we weren’t sure.  Then, when Denzel died, that ‘sealed the deal!’  We decided to spell it Dezmond so it would be like Denzel.”  I love it!  What a sweet tender way to remember Denzel!



When Millie was done being sewn up, and they were ready to move her to her regular hospital room, Amelia got behind the wheelchair, while Hans sat in it, holding baby Dezmond.  What a woman!!  Then Amelia and Hans WALKED to her room while pushing the baby in his bassinet. 

(I spent all my time taking pictures, and video, and trying to do as good of a job as possible!!  I hope there are a few good pictures!!)



I am SO proud of Amelia and Hans!  They handled everything beautifully, and I felt so honored to have been part of Dezmond’s birth.  

No comments: