September 27, 2011

What's DAD doing home. . . in the middle of the day!?!

Tuesday - College class, homework, piano lessons, getting last minute things ready for my two piano recitals tonight, working on the piano competition stuff, work on dinner, haul hay for the horses, talk with my parents. . .

Yeah, that's about the size of my days in general, except for the piano recital stuff!  So, I'm driving home from my college class, talking on the phone with my parents.  I get to the corner at our house and notice a car in the driveway.  Not just any car, but MY HUSBAND'S.  I said to my parents, the instant I saw his car, "Rod's home from school...he's NEVER home from school.  I've got to go!"  And promptly hung up the phone.  I ran in the house and it was silent.  I called out thinking I would hear Rod's voice, but there was nothing.  I went through every room, ending in our bedroom; then I heard him in the bathroom.  He was sitting on a stool, hunkered over the bathroom sink.  I instantly thought of MORNING SICKNESS!!

I asked if he was feeling sick, and he surprised me when he said he wasn't.  He then gave the details of how he was eating lunch and started to feel spasms in his throat.  He got a drink of water and it came spewing out of his mouth.  And it got worse after that.  Even trying to swallow his saliva made it spasm worse and come out.  That's when he decided it wouldn't be too cool to stay at school and teach.

(I could just see it:  "Today, students, we're going to discuss the esophagus and what happens when it's not functioning correctly...")

Anyway, we took him to the doctor (where Nat works, of course!)  He gave Dad a nitroglycerin pill to put under his tongue.  The doc said it would only take about 5 minutes...it took 20...but it DID work.  Will we waited though, Dad got THE WORST case of hiccups...LOUD and jolting.  I must not be a very good wife, because it was VERY hard to not bust up laughing right out loud.  I tried really hard, as I rubbed Dad's back, but after a few minutes, with his head still down he quietly said, "I can feel you shaking..."  That's all it took, and I let out a loud guffaw!  It really was quite funny.  Dad got laughing too, in his funny "hold it in" laugh, and it actually stopped the hiccups!!

After a while, Nat (yeah, she just told her job she was going with her dad!) Dad, and I went to the hospital.  Nat stayed with Dad while I ran home to get things ready for the piano recitals (which was rather hectic...enough said!)

The scope and biopsy went well.  We'll know in a week what that shows, and then Nat and Dad came to the piano recitals.  Hans and Amelia came and saved the day with the video camera!  (They found a clever way to attach it to the tripod even though the regular attachment piece was missing!!)

I played Autumn Leaves at both recitals and only messed up the second time I played.  Lots of other thoughts kept racing through my head...I'll have to work on FOCUSING more.

All in all, it was a memorable day, and I'm VERY happy that Dad is doing well!!

No comments: