August 19, 2011

Thumb Surgery. . .

Here's the whole story...

In March my thumbs (yes, both of them) started "triggering" -- where the tendon gets inflamed and swollen, and won't slide through the casing that holds it in place.  When the pressure builds enough as I try to bend my thumb, it suddenly would SNAP down; and it would snap up when trying to unbend it.  Very strange.  And started to become quite painful.  Hence, in May I had cortizone shots put into my thumb tendons to see if it would help.  IT DID!!. . . for 3 months. . . which is what the doctor said usually happens.  The only way to FIX it is to surgically go in and put a slit in the casing so the tendon can slide easily once again.
That's what I had done today!  It's a simple procedure...about 20 minutes per hand and not repairing anything...simply opening up the casing.  (see...minimal incisions!)



Sooooo, I just had Dallin drop me off at the hospital at 11:30 and asked him to pick me up around 2:00-2:30.  (Dad had wanted to come but I insisted he didn't need to miss work for such a simple procedure!)
The male nurse attending me was AMAZED that I wasn't on any medication, that I didn't have any health problems, and that my blood pressure was at 112/70!  Hooray for healthy bodies!!  (Now just fix my THUMBS!)

Anyway, the anesthesiologist (Dr. Larsen) came in and we talked about what kind of pain killer I wanted.  Since it was a simple procedure I told him I didn't want a general, "Just give me what I need to not feel my hands."  He said, "Really?" and I assured him I was not a wuss!  So off he wheeled me into the operating room. . . 

There were lots of people in there (about 8) getting everything ready for both hands to be fixed.  The nurse had put the IV in my FOOT since my hands would be worked on.  So I was a little confused when, in the operating room, they put an IV in each hand!  And then Dr. Larsen wrapped a rubber ace bandage-like thing TIGHTLY around  my hand with the IV underneath.  I told him, "That's a little uncomfortable, you know..."  He kind of smiled at me as he said, "I won't remind you that YOU HAD A CHOICE!"  I laughed!!  

After a minute I asked how long it would take for me to wake up if he gave me something.  He said, "Ten minutes."  I thought a second, then replied, "I want a nap!"  Within about 2 minutes I was waking up with the surgery completed!  GREAT NAP!!!

Dal and Thomas Hafen came and got me at the hospital.  We went to Wendy's for a hamburger (yep, had to fast from Thursday night til Friday around 2:30!), and then we went to Kohls where Dallin bought a cool looking suit!  After that we headed home, and I "rested," more or less...  ^_^

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Happy that all went well and you were so brave. Prayers that the recovery ends up being just as speedy as the procedure itself. ;)