August 12, 2011

Military Men (and women)!

A few nights ago, a man stopped by to ask if we would paint our window with a "Welcome Home" sign for his nephew who was returning from duty in Afghanistan. Dad and I talked to him a bit, and told him we would.

When I painted the window I couldn't just say "welcome home, Jesse" so I put this because I thought of Denzel and his service . . .
;

This evening there was a knock at our door. When Dad and I answered it, there was a man standing there with his 10 year old son, and he said as he pointed at the window, "That's me..."

Well, we invited them in after shaking hands and introducing ourselves, and had a very nice visit. Among other things, Jesse told us that he embedded with a different unit from South Carolina. When they returned home to the south there was a big parade and hoopla planned for all of the soldiers...however, Jesse came home to Utah...with no hoopla for one individual. He was VERY grateful for the window and our gratitude. I was so happy that we could do something so small, but very meaningful for this soldier who was willing to serve our great country and sacrifice so much to help each of us.

Thank you, Jesse (and Denzel), for being willing to serve!!

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Tracy said...

He is correct. When the units that have been deployed come home (whether large or small in number) they throw parades, the entire town(s) come out to meet them at the base airport etc etc. Patriotism is alive and well in the south. Perhaps because so many of their young men and women have enlisted. I don't know. I just know its wonderful to see. Denzel, my famiy prays for you regularly. Stay safe and come back to us.