July 15, 2013

Stake Girls Camp...After 26 Years!!

Wow!  We're not quite sure what our own bed looks like, let alone feels like, since we've been on the go so much!  I thought it was called "summer vacation" so we could RELAX!!  Ha!!  But I must say, it has been fun in spite of the constant state of flux...

We arrived home from the 4th of July week, and had ONE DAY to get packed and ready for our Girls Camp experience.  In a nutshell: The whole week was GREAT!!

I was called to be the Stake Camp Cook, which meant I planned the menu, bought the groceries, and cooked all the meals the stake youth leaders and stake adult leaders ate, which meals started on Tuesday evening, and ended Saturday morning.  There was NO WAY I could have done this without Rod.  He helped me every step of the way!!

And talk about things going well. . .
Everyone loved what was cooked.
It was easy only having ONE THING to be in charge of. . . the cooking.
Rod was there...and even though he was a HUGE help, his PRESENCE was so very beneficial to me.
I got to interact with many of the girls at camp, and the leaders.  (Hiking, singing, skits, testimony meeting)
We were in the mountains, and it was beautiful and refreshing!!  The large amounts of rain we received were enjoyable, too, because we had a HUGE fire within a covered pavilion!  (I felt badly for our ward leaders and girls, because they didn't have this luxury!!)

It had been 26 years since my last Girls Camp excursion.  And it was to the same location!!  26 years earlier I had gone with Kristy (she was 2 months old!) for the entire week of camp.  During that week so long ago, we had hiked the mountain across from our campground, and Heidi Graf (then 15) taught us "The Zulu King" song...yep, kids, that's where one of our "family favorite" songs came from!!  Little did I know that during this camp in 2013, there would be three girls who needed this association in their lives, and asked if we could hike the mountain together and would I teach them The Zulu King.  We did and now that song will be passed down for another generation or two!!

And I am continually amazed at how our Heavenly Father directs us to people's lives and how we help to lift and strengthen one another!!

Although this camp was a LOT of work, it was very memorable, and life-changing in many ways!
 

 





No comments: