March 31, 2013

Trials, Tragedy, and Triumphs!

I tend to think a lot about many things.  Bet you never would have guessed!!  Ha!  With Easter having just been celebrated, and more particularly because of the trials we have dealt with in varying degrees,  a lot having to do with Denzel's death, I have pondered deeply about the Atonement and so many different aspects of it.  Just like President Eyring mentioned in last April's Saturday morning's General Conference talk, although we would NEVER pray for the trials and struggles that have come to us, the growth, understanding, and strengthening that has come about is profound, and truly blesses our lives.  I have felt that thoroughly!

As I continue in my reading of The Infinite Atonement, I find amazing things to contemplate.  Here is one of them:
"Just as the physical body weakens with the onslaught of disease, it seems that in the same way we weaken spiritually as we embrace each new sin.  Perhaps we lose our capacity or will to absorb light and truth.  Perhaps, like an injured muscle, we lose strength and resiliency to confront each new temptation.  Whatever the mechanics, spiritual death seems to result in a form of spiritual degeneration or entropy.  As with physical death, there needs to be some power to reverse the decaying process, to heal our spiritual wounds, to strengthen our spiritual fiber.  Again, the Atonement is the source of that reversing power, that fount to which men 'may look for a remission of their sins' (2 Nephi 25:26)."

How I wish I had been better able to communicate and teach in such a way so that all of my children could understand the importance of resisting sin!  It seems so clear to me, but I don't think I was able to communicate very well.  Or perhaps I should say, I wish I could have taught Denzel in such a way that he didn't have to learn so many things the hard way.  He was not perfect, and neither was I.  

And so, I come full-circle to my gratitude for the Atonement.  No matter which direction I go in my thoughts, in my heart, in my memories, whether they be pleasant or difficult, I ALWAYS end up at the Atonement.  Our Savior truly is our Redeemer.  He "buys us back" from the chains of hell.  All we have to do is accept His purchase price...our obedience to His laws and commandments.  We either gain light (and spiritual strength) or lose it, depending on our choices.  Society gets very caught up in physical fitness, exercise, and strengthening their bodies by working out at the gym.  If we could only see as easily the importance of strengthening our spiritual muscles!!  
I hope you will each gain your own understanding of the Atonement.  It IS Real!  Please believe it, Trust it, and Use it!!  It is THE most amazing gift ever given to anyone.  And it has been given to each of us!!  I am SO grateful!!  I love you all more than I can express.  I will be forever indebted to our Savior for providing the way for us to be together forever.  Now THAT is how we are able to take trials and tragedy and have them become triumphs in our lives!

Love,
Mom

No comments: