January 12, 2013

Dad's 57th Birthday. . .

It's funny how things can change...and still be really good!  I think that's so important, because I can pretty much guarantee that THINGS WILL CHANGE in each of our lives!  So why not enjoy it!

Today was no exception.  The only problem is that I need to do better at planning ahead!  With no kids around, I have to do everything MYSELF!!  I realized I hadn't thought about the window...hadn't planned the treasure hunt, barely thought about breakfast, and Dad and I were headed to bed Friday night.  As I was falling asleep I told myself, "You WILL get up at 5:00 and get everything done!"  Sure enough, I awoke at 5:01 a.m., quietly crawled out of bed, shut our door, and proceeded to FLY, getting everything done.

The first problem arose when it was so cold outside that the water I sprayed onto the window to clean the paint off from the previous day's quote, FROZE on the window.  It was terrible!  There I was, in my pj's, with a heavy coat on, slippers on my feet, trying to scrape ice and paint off the window in 16 degree darkness!  Eventually I got it done well enough, and managed to paint the window in an acceptable manner. (After Rod had seen the window later in the morning, I added an "addendum" for the passing motorists that said, "HONK" to wish him H.B.!.  Rod wondered why so many people were honking their horns!)

Next, I got the Treasure Hunt roughly figured out.  I planted the first clue under the dining table chair, like we usually do, then made up several other clues that would take us around town.  I hadn't planned ahead and "planted" the clues at the various places, so I just typed different notes on my phone, which would give him the new clue.  Then I remembered the wrapped presents were still hidden in the sewing closet!  Better stick them in the trunk of the car...but WAIT, if we open the trunk when we're out and about, he'll see the presents...quick, put them in the OTHER car's trunk!!  All while still in my pj's!!





Printed out the cute picture Elder Hunt had sent through Dropbox, and had the video ready, too.






We had a delicious breakfast of fried eggs, hash browns, (can you believe I forgot to cook the bacon!!), toast and hot chocolate.  DELICIOUS!!


When I did the "tradition, tradition" dance, Dad was a little surprised, but enjoyed reading the first clue. It told him to look on my phone for the next clue... which then told him that at 11:00 he was to "get in the car, and we wouldn't go too far..."


That gave me just enough time to get Dad's favorite birthday cake made...yep, German Chocolate cake with homemade icing!!


With the help of some of the kids' birthday phone calls, we remembered there were cards to open!!  Home Depot and Barnes and Noble will be fun places to pick something out!

At the appointed time we got in the car...and went to Wal-mart!!  (I needed to return something, so of course a clue was hidden on the back of the thing being returned...Dad was kind of surprised when the clerk wondered what was taped on the package!  When I told her it was part of a birthday treasure hunt, she was surprised and asked how long we had been married.  We thought for a minute and said, "Oh yeah...33 years!"  She said she hoped she found a "keeper" like Dad.  I hope she does, too!!

We managed to get all the things we needed and headed out of the store, just in time for another clue on the phone...

"Wait, I think I have to go back to the OTHER clue..."
"Huh??  Where is the clue?"
"Here. . . I'll show you..."



So we got that done, AND put our purchases in the trunk...  The next clue led us to Home Depot, and another to Deseret Book and the bowling alley...

...BUT we had to change just a bit because the movie we wanted to see was playing earlier than I had expected, so we took a raincheck on the bowling, and went to see LINCOLN, and really enjoyed it!


On the way home, we stopped at Lins  to pick up flat iron steaks for Rod's birthday dinner.  When we unloaded everything, I reminded Dad to finish his treasure hunt...so he looked at the clue again, and didn't quite get it.  It had said, "Look in the trunk, it might take a few..."  Gradually he thought it through, then got the other car keys...but he didn't guess right...so had to go back and get the THIRD set of car keys...and that did the trick!

"There's nothing here..."
"No really...there isn't!"
"You mean I have to check another?"
"Ohhhhh. . . "


"Here they are!!"




 Around 6:00 p.m. Amelia, Hans and Dezmond, came over, along with Gary and MaryAnn Zabriskie, to help celebrate Rod's special day.  Dinner was delicious!  We never get tired of the flat iron steaks, along with baked red potatoes, salad and french bread.

Dezmond loved Grandpa's birthday, too!!


And we managed to save some room for the really, really good German Chocolate cake!!



GREAT day of celebrating and having fun together!!

No comments: