November 17, 2012

Dad's Tribute to Denzel on His Birthday

November 17, 2012

Today is Denzel's 32nd birthday. Happy birthday my oldest son!






Often I catch myself thinking, "I wonder when Denz will be down for drill again". Then I remember reality and that he is really gone and that it will be awhile before I will see him again. I miss him.

Many memories are triggered today:
  •  playing checkers and chess with Denzel, at least until he started to beat me all the time;
  •  wrestling and arm wrestling with Denzel, at least until he started to whip me;
  •  going to scout camps with him; playing football catch and baseball catch and basketball with him;
  •  watching football games on TV;
  •  putting puzzles together; 
  • skeet shooting and target shooting; 
  • driving to South Carolina with Denz. 





Denzel had a great sense of humor,
and an intense loyalty to family and friends. 

I miss his smile and his muscular hugs.

      This morning Trice announced that we were having a special bacon & egg breakfast for Denzel's birthday. 

That made me happy.

 As I came in to sit down at the table, I saw the red plate and glass that are always set for the birthday person at the honored traditional spot by Trice. 

I just started to cry and Trice came over and held me.


   








Thanks for the memories Denz. 

I hope you are doing well in the things you are doing and that you know of my love for you.

Love, Dad

No comments: