September 11, 2012

Dike Failure Pics. . .

This morning, around 11:00, I was driving into town, passed the dike pond and thought, "Tomorrow is a canoeing day FOR SURE!!"  There was SO much water in the pond I couldn't believe it!

As I was driving home from my meeting around 1:00, I received a text from Dad, saying he hoped I wasn't canoeing on the pond because they had gotten word that the dike was looking like it would fail.  I assured him I wasn't, then hurried home, being diverted the back way.  But even Pioneer Parkway was closed off, so had to detour back by the high school, and went up Little League Drive.  There was water clear back to that road.
I picked up MaryAnn, stopped at the house and got my camera, and then we hightailed it to the park.

We snapped a few pictures, and took some video.  Then I looked down towards the dike and noticed a small "chunk" missing.  I quickly told MaryAnn and we RAN down as close as we could get.  Within a few short minutes there was a HUGE section of the dike gone, and the rushing torrential river that came from behind the broken dam was incredible.  It made my heart sick for so many of the families we know right in the path of the raging river.  Everyone was evacuated before the failure, but there are many many homes (at least 30) that have been slammed by this event, and I've heard only 2 had flood insurance.  TOUGH STUFF!!
  
  
  

  


  

No comments: