October 7, 2011

The "Hot Stove" analogy. . .

I'm reading Brad Wilcox's book, "The Continuous Atonement." I LOVE his "hot stove" comparison:
"In the context of touching a hot stove, consider some of the most common excuses for sin:
  • Just one touch won't hurt.
  • I'm afraid if I take my hand off I won't be able to leave it off.
  • I deserve this.
  • The only reason I feel pain is because of my Mormon culture.
  • But I was born with the desire to touch the stove.
  • It's my parents' fault. They're the ones who bought the stove!
  • I just need to adjust to the burning rather than try to overcome it.
  • I want to be excommunicated so it won't hurt when I touch the stove.
  • No one told me touching the hot stove was bad.
  • It may hurt, but at least I am touching it with someone I love.
  • It's not like it's totally wrong. It's a gray area.
  • Everyone else is touching it.
  • I'll touch it if I want. It's my right. Nobody is going to tell me what to do or not do.
  • Stove? What stove? I don't see any stove.
  • I just don't care anymore. I'm numb to it.
  • I know it's wrong, but I'll move my hand tomorrow.
  • You can't go without touching the stove all the time.
  • I've blown it now. I might as well touch it more.
  • Those who don't touch the stove are old-fashioned; my generation is different.
  • At least it's just my hand, and not my whole face.
  • How will I know it hurts unless I touch it myself?
  • At least the other stove touchers accept me and don't judge.
  • There are others who touch it more than I do.
  • If God didn't want me to touch the stove, He wouldn't have given me a hand."

If you're laughing your head off right about now, you're probably doing good at making good choices, and repenting when you don't. If you think this is REALLY STUPID, perhaps you've been touching the stove!

Love you all tons!!

No comments: