September 4, 2011

Presence . . .

One of the things I LOVE about my husband is the support he gives me.  For instance, when we have "work parties" in the community garden, he asks me what I'd like him to do.  We talk about what needs to be done, what he'd like to do...and then he does it.  Even though the garden isn't HIS project, he supports me in it and I love having his presence there.  It means a lot to me!

Dad has always given me his "presence" which has been MUCH more meaningful than any "presents" he could have purchased and surprised me with.  Sometimes I think about the presents or presence we give each other:  our spouses, our children, our friends, and our neighbors

Do we substitute "things" for time?  Do we associate "stuff" with success?  Do our relationships crave more attention and time?

Sometimes it's easier to just buy something and appease or satisfy for the moment.  However, in the long run, things that can be bought will never hold a candle to the relationships that are developed and nurtured through time, sacrifice and giving of ourselves.

Be careful that you don't get tricked into substituting "presents" for your presence!!

Love,
Mom

P.S.  Today in church I was thinking a bit more about this...and was reminded about the greatest gift given to us all...by our Savior, Jesus Christ.  He gave His LIFE for each of us...it was a gift, freely given, but it required ALL of Him.  He gave us this gift so that we could live eternally in His Presence.  I hope we don't ever forget!!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

This is profound. Do you mind if I "steal" it? I would like to share it with my family and perhaps on facebook.

Patrice said...

Of course you may, Tracy! Read the P.S., too; it was a very interesting experience in church and I shared some of my feelings during testimony meeting...