January 9, 2011

Personal Revelation. . .

Saturday, I attended a Music Workshop put on by the Bloomington Stake. It was kind of like education week in that there were classes offered at the same time and we had to pick and choose which we would attend. I was torn between my choices, and wished I had a clone!

I learned a lot, but the thing that registered most with me didn't have anything to do with music!! The opening speaker (Merilee Webb) related how she had been called as the Activities Committee Chairman after returning from teaching at BYU-Hawaii for a few years with her Masters of Music degree. She was a bit surprised at the calling and asked, "REALLY! Are you kidding?!?!" She then told the bishop she would have to "get back with him," that she needed to get her own answer.

Well, she went home and prayed, saying, "REALLY?!?! Are you kidding!!!" And she received the answer that this WAS what she was supposed to do. So she accepted the calling. And then she prayed for inspiration to know what to do in her calling. On the surface it would seem her job was to plan four activities for the ward that year. However, she prayed to the Lord to find out what HE wanted her to do.

Merilee then went on to relate many remarkable experiences she had as she LISTENED to what the Lord wanted her to do. We were reminded that no matter WHAT our calling in our ward is, we should be praying to know what the Lord wants us to do in that calling.

And so what I learned -- what I was reminded of, and want to share with each of you kids -- is that we should INQUIRE OF THE LORD what HE would like us to do!! This applies to our callings, but it also applies to each day of our life. Do we start out each day telling the Lord what WE are going to do, or do we ASK what He would like?

Just this morning I prayed to know what He would like me to do as the Ward music chairman. I was given insight very quickly about implementing one thing I've never thought of doing before. It should be relatively easy to start, and has great potential for blessing many lives!! And all I had to do was ASK and then LISTEN!!

Wow! I hope we will each remember this simple, yet VITALLY important thing to do in our lives.

Dad and I miss seeing each of you every day!! We are so glad that Dal and Kristy are here, and we look forward to the times we get to spend with the rest of you. We pray for you, for your success, for your happiness, for your well-being, and for your testimonies to be strengthened.

Have a great week!!

Love,
Mom

No comments: