September 5, 2009

MM Archives

Mom's Moment
October 31, 2004


Last night, as I sat out in my "Spider Woman" costume and handed out candy while kids and parents were very impressed with the giant spider on the lawn, I saw lots of different characters...some costumed, some not. There was only one teenager who came up to trick or treat without a costume on. I teased her a bit and told her "I don't get dressed up like this to give out candy to someone NOT in costume...come back next year with a costume and I'll give you some candy!" I heard her mother laughing, as they walked away with the younger kids, saying, "I told you so...you should have worn a costume!"

Right before I came in for the night (Dad had come out to start bringing things in), another memorable family came to get candy. The mom had stopped by the wall to help her little girl who had dropped her bag of candy. The dad came up, without a shirt on, pushing a stroller with a toddler in it. I couldn't believe he would be so immature as to go without a shirt (it was starting to get very cold!) to go trick-or-treating with his kids. After I put a candy in the child's pumpkin I casually asked the dad, "So, what's up with the no-shirt look?"
He meekly replied, "My baby was getting really cold so I wrapped him up in it..."
I glanced back at the stroller and, sure enough, there was the dad's shirt wrapped around his son.
I guess it was a good reminder not to be hasty in our judgments of others. . . . we might not know the whole story!

No comments: